To know about the human psychology of adults, first of all you must know about human brain structural and functional facts in adults. Detailed review about human brain facts for adults is given here, so carefully read the complicated structure and parts of this master organ in the human body.
Made up of about 100 billion neurons and contributing nearly 2% of body-weight, brain is the supreme structural and functional unit and control center of the body and the superior-most region of CNS (Central Nervous System). Broadly speaking, major part of the brain is comprised of the hemispheres (left & right) of cerebral cortex. Cerebellum, the horizontally furrowed structure of brain’s rear part, is located behind brainstem that is attached to cerebrum.
Primary parts of human brain work in coordination with one another and execute a number of vital functions, viz. growth, maintenance, reproduction, sexual maturity, alarming and responding to environmental hazards, and personal & behavioral developments. The human brain functions have also been discussed in detail in a separate article.
Like other structures of the body, the master organ is also vulnerable to a number of disorders, injuries, damages and severe ailments can lead to the immediate death of the victim. Meningitis, encephalitis, concussion, intracerebral hemorrhage, brain tumor, hydrocephalus, and hemorrhage stroke are some of the major human brain diseases that can be addressed through various available and successful treatment measures.
Some Interesting Human Brain Facts For Adults
Here follows a list of some amazing brain facts for adults which are as informative and enjoyable as the interesting brain facts for kids.
- Height: The brain of a male, having the same height and surface area of body as that of a female, weighs 100 gram heavier!
- IQ Difference: The difference of brain weight in opposite sex members has no obvious relation with their IQ (Intelligence Quotient) or any other measure of the cognitive efficiency.
- Mean Volume: The mean volume of a fully grown-up male and female brain-mass measures about 1260 cm3 (cubic centimeter) and 1130 cm3, respectively.
- Average Weight: The average weight of an adult human brain is about 1,500 gram (1.5 Kg), but it also shows great variation from one individual to the other.
- Brain-to-Body Weight Ratio: Concerning brain-to-body weight ratio, human skull contains the largest living brain structure as compared with that of all the other animals.
- Brain Size Comparison: Size of human brain is almost thrice as large as that of a chimpanzee, and two times larger than that of bottlenose dolphin.
- Though brain of an elephant is larger than that of a human, it makes up around 0.15% of the animal’s body while in man it contributes 2%!
- Major Part: Cerebrum (or telencephalon) is the major part of brain that is not only largest in size but also the most developed of all the major structural divisions of the brain.
- Complex Activities: Thinking and reasoning are some of the most complex activities of human brain that still remain least understood even in this postmodern age.
- Gray/Whitish Matter: The gray or whitish matter of brain is composed of neuron cells that are responsible for gathering and transmitting signals or nerve impulses and delivering the processed responses back to the same regions to carry out desired actions.
- The gray matter of the human brain is made up of neurons while the axons and dendrites account for the white matter of the brain.
- Ratio Between White and Gray Matter: Concerning the ratio of white and gray matter, the former contributes sixty percent while the latter accounts for the remaining forty percent.
- The voltage variations in the electrical activity along your scalp are recorded by a process called EEG (Electroencephalography) that is actually the measure of ionic current flowing through the neuron cells.
- Do You Know? Owing to the absence of concerned receptors in the brain, this master organ of the body is unable to feel pain?
- Long Vessel: If you join all the blood vessels in human brain end to end, you will end up with a long vessel measuring 100,000 miles!
- Organic Composition: Concerning the organic composition of brain, it contains up to 60% fat, thereby becoming the fattest organ in the human body.